Remember this information is useful for abortion with pills in pregnancies that are 10 weeks or less counted from the first day of your menstrual period. If you are more then 10 weeks pregnant we are not trained to support you but we will do our best to refer you to an organization that is.
Using only Misoprostol is very effective (85%)
You will need 12 misoprostol pill. Each pill should be 200 mcg. If the pills you are getting have a different dosage of mcg, you will need to recalculate so you can get and use the correct amount of medication.
If you have any questions or something is not clear to you, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to support you throughout your abortion process.
How to use Misoprostol?
Step 1: Take 800 mg of Ibuprofen 1 hour before using Misoprostol.
This step is not required, but we highly recommend it. Ibuprofen will reduce the intensity of the cramps and help you manage the possible side effects of Misoprostol such as headache, fever and/or chills.
Step 2: Place 4 Misoprostol pills under your tongue (sublingual). Wait 4 hours.
Step 3: Place 4 Misoprostol pills under your tongue (sublingual). Wait 4 hours.
Step 4: Place the last 4 Misoprostol pills under your tongue (sublingual).
It is very important that the pills remain under your tongue for 30 minutes after each step. In these 30 minutes the pills will be absorbing into your system. After 30 minutes you may drink water to wash down what remains of the pills.
If you vomit during the 30 minutes that the Misoprostol pills are under your tongue, it is likely they will not work. In this case, it is necessary to immediately repeat that step.
Use all 12 pills even if you start to bleed after using the first or second dose.
After using Misoprostol you will experience cramping and bleeding. Some women will expel blood clots as well. Consider it is not possible to know exactly when the pain and bleeding will start.
The bleeding expected should be the same amount as your menstrual period or more for several hours. Consider that the abortion takes about 2 weeks to complete itself. This means that you can continue to bleed on and off for various days or even weeks after using the pills.
Remember that each abortion experience is different and the symptoms can vary from woman to woman.
The majority of women who have pregnancy symptoms stop having them approximately 5 days after using Misoprostol. If you do not have pregnancy symptoms anymore, that is a good sign that you are no longer pregnant.
After using Misoprostol, some women experience side effects that can last for a some hours or a few days. These side effects include:
- nausea / vomiting
To avoid hemorrhaging and/or infection, it is important that until your bleeding completely stops, you take the following precautions:
- avoid introducing objects in your vagina, including tampons and the menstrual cup
- avoid intense physical activity (exercising, carrying, pushing or pulling heavy objects, walking more than normal, or walking up too many flights of stairs)
If you have one of the following symptoms, this is considered a warning sign that you might be experiencing a complication and you should immediately seek medical attention:
- If you fill two pads or more (completely soaked front to back, side to side) in 1 hour or less and this last for 2 hours or more.
- A fever of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit) that does not decrease after taking Ibuprofen. (If you think you have a fever always confirm with a thermometer.)
- A fever of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit) that does not decrease 12 hours after using Misoprostol. (If you think you have a fever always confirm with a thermometer.)
- Pain that does not get better after taking Ibuprofen.
- The color or smell of your blood is very different from your regular period or has a bad smell.
- If you have redness, itchiness or swollen hands, neck and face it is likely you are having an allergic reaction to the medications. You can use an antihistaminic, but if you find it difficult to breathe then the allergic reaction is very serious and you need medical care immediately.