safe2choose is growing and expanding, so we need more bright and experienced people to help us accomplish our mission – increase access to safe abortion information, counselling and quality abortion pills in more countries.
safe2choose, a social not for profit venture established in August 2015, is committed to addressing the barriers to safe abortion by educating women on how to access/use abortion pills responsibly through the internet and other modern ways of communication as well as by making abortion pills more widely available and affordable using postal services. Currently safe2choose website is available in 6 languages (English, Spanish, French, Hindi, Polish and Portuguese) and we have social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc) in most of those languages, including one specifically for Africa.
We are currently recruiting for the following interesting positions, see below job descriptions:
Web Developer for Fem (SA)
Fem is a mobile health campaign that refer women to the closest abortion service provide. Fem has been designed to give all South Africans access to information about health facilities that provide safe and legal abortion, via a simple SMS.
Fem is seeking a web-developer to create a website. The design will be provided by Fem. The candidate will be responsible for the full-stack deployment of the website. Our ideal candidate has a strong background in web development, is comfortable working independently, is organized, can reliably meet deadlines, and is aligned to our mission of promoting access to safe abortion for all women. Security, confidentiality, and safety are essential components of what we do. Consequently, we are leveraging a serious stack of free and open source technologies like PGP, Etherpad, ownCloud, Jitsi, Bitcoin, and more.
- Develop website in accordance with the input of the Fem staff and our partnering creative agency.
- Maintain close contact with Fem staff in South Africa and other staff based internationally.
- Adhere to strict security and data protection protocol.
- Meet pre-determined deadlines and respond to feedback promptly.
- Keep a flexible work schedule that permits occasional meetings outside of regular business hours and close collaboration with an international staff.
- University degree in Computer Science, Informatics, etc, or at least three years work experience in website/mobile development.
- Full-stack. Experience with at least two web frameworks (Rails, WordPress, Meteor, Hugo, Django, etc).
- Experience with Stylesheet preprocessor, Designing software and Responsive design
- Portfolio of at least two previous websites built.
- FOSS friendly.
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of other languages (seSotho, isiZulu, Afrikaans etc) is a plus.
- Must have independent access to a computer and internet.
- Must support women’s access to safe abortion.
Cost will be considered along with experience, team, track record, and more.
How to apply
Please send a resume and link to your portfolio letter outlining your competencies that show your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Web Developer” in the subject line. Closing date 04 June 2017.
Communications and Outreach Specialist
About the Position
This is a support role; the communications and outreach specialist will work closely with our local full-time staff and will be responsible for translating the following materials from English into several different local languages:
1. SMS flows: our services consist most of a variety of SMS campaigns. The specialist will need to translate the existing SMS messages, which are in English, into several different local languages.
2. Flyers: translate our flyers from English into local languages.
3. Website: translate our website content from English into local languages.
4. Other: may be responsible for translating blog posts, advertising materials, and other documents upon request.
We are looking for a multi-lingual language expert who is fluent in English and at least three local languages. Must be proficient at both the business and conversational level, in both written and verbal. This individual must also have a solid understanding of local “isms” and common phrases (i.e. knowing how to phrase things that do not translate verbatim).
- Must already be living in South Africa.
- In the pursuit of, or already in possession of, a college degree. We will also accept applications from individuals without a degree, but who have a strong professional background in linguistics.
- Preferably has an interest in gender equality, sexual health, and reproductive rights.
- Independent access to a computer, Internet, and home-office space.
- Proven track record of language translation with examples of past work.
- Basic computer skills.
- Fluent English + at least three other local languages. · Strong writing and communication skills.
- Ability to travel nationally at 10% of time. Pro-choice, reliable, organized and a positive attitude.
Hours & Compensation
Candidates will be required to commit a minimum of 20 hours per week. The role will receive a monthly salary dependent on the experience level. Start date ASAP. Please send a resume and cover letter explaining your suitability for the role to email@example.com with “Communications and Outreach Specialist” in the subject line.
About the Position
This is a support role; part-time staff and interns will be required to work closely with our local full-time staff to carry out the following tasks:
Verification of service providers: identify and verify health facilities that provide abortion services against internal criteria. Staff person will receive training and support in best methods for both identifying and verifying safe, legal abortion service providers in South Africa. Staff person will be required to visit health facilities in-person in the Gauteng province, with potential travel to health facilities in
General admin: staff will be responsible for developing internal documents, editing documents and drafting external communications.
Data analysis: staff will be responsible to gather, order and interpret data that is related to our activities in country, this will allow us to track progress and to identify areas we need to improve in and most
importantly the data will form the core of our reporting to management and funders.
Marketing activities: Staff person will contribute to our grassroots marketing activities by educating target audiences about our work, and driving engagement on our platforms. This will be done through
activations, organizing and facilitating community events, and generally representing our brand in public.
Follow up calls with users: Fem will begin interacting with the women who use our platform through methods beyond SMS, such as via phone call. The staff member will be responsible for making these calls, supported
by thorough training.
This position is ideal for someone interested in building a career focused on women’s rights, reproductive health and rights, and access to safe and legal abortion in South Africa. You will develop skills in communication, organization, teamwork, advocacy, and time management.
- Must already be living in South Africa.
- In the pursuit of or already in possession of a college degree. We will also accept applications from individuals without a degree, but who have a strong professional background in activism, gender equality, and/or reproductive rights.
- Preferably has experience in a community or student organisation that champions women and reproductive rights.
Independent access to a computer, internet and home-office space.
- Interest in reproductive rights and/or social justice.
- Experience with data collection and analysis.
- Basic computer and smartphone skills (editing phone settings, installing
new applications, uploading documents, etc)
- Fluent English + at least one other local language.
- Strong English writing skills or strong coding skills is a plus.
- Ability to travel nationally at 10% of time.
- Pro-choice, reliable, organized and a positive attitude.
Hours & Compensation: Candidates will be required to commit a minimum of 20 hours per week.
Training will be provided. The role will receive a monthly salary dependent on the experience level. Start date ASAP.
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Part-time Staff Application” in the subject line.
About the Position
safe2choose is growing rapidly and is forming a team to help us grow. One of the most important parts of our structure is the website, therefore, one of the most important tasks of this position is to maintain this web and make improvements that not only include the development front-end, also the knowledge of metrics, APIs, integration with social networks, responsive design and security protocols. It will have responsibility and autonomy to bring fresh ideas to the team.
Work with internationally based staff via email, and phone.
Report directly to Senior Developer in Mexico.
Use the tools specified for task management
Give feedback to the team about different solutions
Assist and develop tools.
Provide full-time maintenance to the website
Strict adherence to the security and data management policies defined.
Availability to respond in emergency situations
Flexibility to have occasional meetings outside work hours with the rest of the team based internationally.
Remain informed about other relevant projects worldwide.
Provide regular progress updates.
University degree in computer science, informatics, etc, or at least three years work experience in website/mobile development.
+3 years working with MVC frameworks for web like Ruby, Laravel, PHP.
Experience with the following: WordPress, Git, SSH, DB management, Front-end framework, Stylesheet preprocessor, Designing software and Responsive design
Desireble experiencie with: Google Analytics, APIs, Zotonic, PGP, design skills or sys admin.
Fluent in English or Spanish. Working knowledge of other languages (French, Arabic, Portuguese etc) is a plus.
Located in México City
Must have independent access to a computer and internet.
Interest in social justice and / or reproductive rights is a plus.
This is a full-time position and will receive a monthly salary dependent on the experience level.
How to apply
Email your resume to email@example.com.