Abortion in Argentina
The consequences of illegal and unsafe abortion have constituted the leading cause of maternal mortality in this country.
Until last year access to abortion was only legal where the life or health of the pregnant woman is in danger, or where the pregnancy is the result of rape.
On December 30, 2020, Argentina became the largest Latin American country to legalize abortion after its senate passed the historic law change by 38 votes in favor to 29 against, with one abstention  .
The most important points of the new law are:
- Abortion is freely accessible until the 14th week of pregnancy.
- Once this gestational age has passed, abortion is legal in case of danger to the life or health of the pregnant person or in case of rape.
- Access to abortion in the public and private health system services, should be provided within a maximum period of 10 days from the initial request.
- Persons 16 years of age and older have full capacity on their own to consent; girls between the age of 13 and 16 are presumed to have sufficient aptitude and maturity to decide the practice and give due consent, unless a procedure involving a serious risk to their health or life (as provided for in Article 26 of the Nation’s Civil and Commercial Code) must be used.
- Health personnel must provide respectful care, ensure privacy and confidentiality, and respect the autonomy of the person’s will.
- A public official or health personnel who delay, hinder or refuse to perform an abortion in legally authorized cases may be criminally punished and disabled to practice .
Is Abortion Legal in Argentina?
Elective abortion is legal until the 14th week of pregnancy. After this period, abortion is legal in case of danger to the life or health of the pregnant person or in case of rape .
What Types of Abortion are Available in Argentina?
Medical: Misoprostol-only regimens.
Surgical: Manual vacuum aspiration abortion (MVA) and Dilation & Curetage (D&C) 
What is the abortion rate in Argentina? How Many Women Have Abortions?
An estimated 500,000 abortions occur every year in Argentina, representing 40 percent of all pregnancies 
Abortion with Pills (Medical Abortion) in Argentina
Are the Abortion Pills (Mifepristone and Misoprostol) Available in Argentina?
Mifepristone: NOT available.
Misoprostol: Yes, a prescription may be required 
How Late Into a Pregnancy Can the Abortion Pills Be Used?
Technically, medical regimens can be used at any gestational age, provided the recommended regimen is used for any specific indication/gestational age .
Do I Need a Prescription for Mifepristone? Misoprostol?
Mifepristone: NOT available.
Misoprostol: Yes, a prescription may be required.
What Brands of Abortion Pill Are Popular in Argentina?
Oxaprost 75, 200 µg (16 tablets) + Diclofenac
Misop 200, 200 µg (12 vaginal tablets)
Misop 25, 25 µg (20 vaginal tablets)
Generic, 200 µg 
How Much Do the Abortion Pills Cost in Argentina?
$ 5,200 – $ 8,000 ARS ($ 57 – $ 88 USD) per box 
Who Can I Contact for More Information on Abortion in Argentina?
- Red de Acceso al Aborto Seguro (REDAAS), http://www.redaas.org.ar/quienes-somos-REDAAS
- Línea de Salud del Ministerio de Salud de la Nación, 0800 222 3444
- Socorristas en Red, www.socorristasenred.org
- Frente de Mujeres Evita, http://mujeresevita.blogspot.com/
- Lesbianas y Feministas por la Descriminalización del Aborto, (011) 15 6664 7070
- Colectivo de Salud Comunitaria La Mestiza
- Red Salud Decidir http://redsaluddecidir.org/index.php/recursero/ 
In-Clinic Abortion in Argentina
What are the Different Types of in-Clinic Abortion Procedures Available in Argentina?
Manual vacuum aspiration abortions (MVA) and Dilation & Curetage abortions (D&C) for the first trimester. 
Where Can I get a Manual Vacum Aspiration (MVA) Abortion in Argentina?
Surgical abortion procedures for the first trimester (such as MVA) are available at public and private health facilities.
How Much Does Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) Cost in Argentina?
$ 15,620 ARS ($ 172 USD). 
How to get further information?
For additional information and support, you can get in touch with our trained multilingual female counselors
 Human Rights Watch. Abortion: Argentina. Retrieved from: https://www.hrw.org/legacy/women/abortion/argentina.html
 Amnesty International. Argentina: Legalización del aborto es una victoria histórica. Retrieved from: https://www.amnesty.org/es/latest/news/2020/12/argentina-legalization-abortion-historic-victory/
 Center for Reprdoductive Rights.In Historic Victory, Argentina Legalizes Abortion. Retrieved from: https://reproductiverights.org/story/historic-vote-argentina-legalize-abortion
 The Guardian. Argentina legalises abortion in landmark moment for women’s rights. Retrieved from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/30/argentina-legalises-abortion-in-landmark-moment-for-womens-rights
 AS. Misoprostol: qué es, nombre comercial, para qué se usa y posibles efectos secundarios.Retrieved from: https://argentina.as.com/argentina/2021/02/06/actualidad/1612621236_885362.html
 Red Salud Decidir. Aborto Legal y Seguro – ¿Dónde encontrarnos?. Retrieved from: http://redsaluddecidir.org/index.php/recursero/
 CLACAI. PARA ABORTOS SEGUROS. Guía de uso. ¡Confía en el Misoprostol! Retrieved from: http://www.redaas.org.ar/archivos-recursos/Clacai_confia_en_misoprostol.pdf
 Chequeado. Los costos de un aborto luego de la legalización. Retrieved from: https://chequeado.com/el-explicador/cuanto-costaria-un-aborto-luego-de-la-legalizacion/