The advantages of a vacuum aspiration are :
- It is quick – the procedure only takes 5 –10 minutes;
- While women may experience cramping, it is typically less prolonged than the cramping experienced with a medication abortion; and
- It can be done with local anesthesia, so the woman can go home a few hours later.
The disadvantages of a vacuum aspiration are:
- Electric Vacuum Aspiration (EVA) can be done up to 15 weeks, whereas MVA can only be done up to 14 weeks. The main disadvantage of a vacuum aspiration is that it is not available during the late second trimester;
- It´s usually more expensive than a MA; and
- Not all countries do this procedure.
 “Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems.” World Health Organization, second edition, 2012, www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/unsafe_abortion/9789241548434/en/. Accessed November 2020.
*Nothing provided herein should be construed as professional medical advice and no medication / pills should be used without a prescription from a licensed / registered medical practitioner eligible to prescribe such medication in your local jurisdiction.