What are the Differences Between Vacuum Aspiration and Dilation & Evacuation Abortion (D&E)?
There are a few types of abortions that are done in clinics or hospitals; vacuum aspiration can be done until 15 weeks’ gestation (depending on the provider’s preference) and Dilation & Evacuation (D&E) can be done beyond 15 weeks’ gestation.
The type of abortion you can have depends almost entirely on how far along you are in your pregnancy. If you’re in your first trimester, you’ll likely have a vacuum aspiration. If you’re in your second trimester (meaning that it’s been more than 14 weeks since your last menstrual period), you’ll likely have a D&E. If you’re much further into the pregnancy, you might require an induction abortion.
Both types of surgical abortion require the use of medication to prepare the uterus and cervix; different instruments are also used to remove the pregnancy from the uterus .
 “Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems.” World Health Organization, second edition, 2012, www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/unsafe_abortion/9789241548434/en/. Accesed November 2020.
Before an Manual Vacuum Aspiration Abortion
- Are There Any Side Effects Associated With a Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)? Can it Cause Infertility?
- How Much Does a Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) cost?
- What is the Recovery Time for a Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) Procedure?
- Is Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) Painful?
- What Happens During the Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) Procedure?
- How Late Into My Pregnancy Can I Get a Manual Vacuum Aspiration Abortion?
- Which is the Right Choice for Me – A Vacuum Aspiration Abortion or the Abortion Pills?
- Which is Safer – a Vacuum Aspiration Abortion or the Abortion Pills?
- Is There a Difference in Success Rate Between Vacuum Aspiration Abortions and Abortion Pills?
- What is the Cost Difference between A Vacuum Aspiration Abortion and the Abortion Pills?
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Vacuum Aspiration Abortion?
- What are the Differences Between Vacuum Aspiration and Dilation & Evacuation Abortion (D&E)?
- What are the Different Types of Surgical Abortion Procedures?
- What is a Surgical Abortion?
*Nothing provided herein should be construed as professional medical advice and no medication / pills should be used without a prescription from a licensed / registered medical practitioner eligible to prescribe such medication in your local jurisdiction.