Position: Portuguese/English abortion counselor
Location: LATAM, Central America preferred.
Contract Term: until 31st December, renewable.
The digital revolution is transforming how more than 4.5 billion people access sexual and reproductive health care and information. The increasing use of technology provides a unique opportunity to reach vulnerable populations that are excluded from traditional healthcare systems or burdened by geographic barriers, high costs, and stigma. Women and young people increasingly turn to the internet as the first touch-point for information, including guidance about reproductive health and abortion information.
Women First Digital (WFD) is an eHealth social enterprise comprised of three online platforms (descriptions below) that provide information and counseling services on safe abortion, contraception and SRHR. At WFD, we believe in leveraging the power of the digital revolution to ensure that all women, regardless of where they live, have access to a safe abortion option. Through these platforms we connect women all around the world to accurate information, allowing them to make informed decisions about comprehensive abortion care and services.
- safe2choose.org connects women all around the world to accurate and individualized information on abortion, so that they can have a safe abortion where, when, and with whom they feel most comfortable. Our team includes multilingual counselors, medical doctors, and experts in the field of public health and international development.
- HowToUseAbortionPill.org is a one-stop global resource for safe abortion, providing simple instructions on how to use medical abortion pills. HowToUse also provides abortion eLearning courses, and country-specific abortion information and is currently translated into 27 languages.
- Findmymethod.org shares information on contraception that is easy to understand, comprehensive, and globally representative.
We are looking for a Portuguese/English-speaking counselor for our safe2choose.org (s2c) platform:
- Counseling: assisting users via live chat, e-mail by providing information about safe abortion and contraception. Counselors are expected to deliver a friendly, professional, supportive, and non-judgmental comprehensive sexual and reproductive health service, which should guide our users through a safe abortion with pills, aspiration abortion, or surgical abortion and/or refer them to local support networks, where possible and available;
- Research and understand existing resources in LATAM women currently rely on for reproductive health information and abortion services. Help us identify areas of greatest need;
- Referral: Counselors would also be required to support the referral coordinator with developing our network of trusted partners.
- Other duties as assigned;
The counselor will work online from any location within LATAM but should be in constant communication with all the Women First team. The work schedule will be defined according to the candidate’s availability and WFD needs.
- The vacancy is directed at all women (trans included) and non-binary people.
- Immediate availability to work 40 hours (full-time).
- Advanced Portuguese and English proficiency with strong reading and writing skills.
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills in the two languages.
- Ability to write empathetically and connect with users through writing.
- Experience in sexual and reproductive health, with a focus on abortion care.
- Alignment with our intersectional feminist approach, reproductive justice values, and work ethics.
- Ability to analyze complex situations from different cultures and curate customized support.
- Ability to work without supervision and experience working remotely.
- Excellent communication skills and tech-savviness.
- Must have a computer with a stable and strong Internet connection
- Experience in counseling
- Knowledge of another language
- Knowledge of abortion
- Experience in abortion services
- Healthcare expertise
- Studies in Gender and/or Feminism, especially related to women’s health
What’s in for you:
- Support more than 10,000 women every month from all over the world.
- Be part of a multicultural, feminist team based over 5 different continents.
- Become an experienced counselor with a continuous training program.
- Be part of ground-breaking e-health innovative programs
Remote work. Salary is $1000 USD/month.
We invite all interested to apply by filling this form before March 10th. Please, notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.