Position: Front End Developer
Contract Term: 6 months with possibility of extension
Women First Digital (WFD) is a collection of online platforms that provide information and counseling services on safe abortion, contraception and SRHR. WFD leverages the reach, innovation and power of the internet to reach as many people as possible. Through these platforms we connect women all around the world to accurate information, allowing them to make informed decisions about comprehensive abortion care and services. The following platforms comprise the WFD Program:
- HowToUseAbortionPill.org (also known as PinkShoes.org in regions of the world where criminalization or stigma make abortion resources inaccessible)HowToUse is a one stop global resource for safe abortion, providing simple instructions on how to use the medical abortion pills. HowToUse also provides abortion eLearning courses, country-specific abortion information and is currently translated into 24 languages.
- safe2choose.orgsafe2choose connects women all around the world to accurate and individualized information on medical abortion pills, so that they can have a safe abortion where, when and with whom they feel most comfortable. Our team includes multilingual counselors, medical doctors and experts in the field of public health and international development that work together to provide women with accurate information about safe abortion.
- Findmymethod.orgCreated in collaboration with Bedsider.org and partners around the world, findmymethod.org shares information on contraception that is easy to understand, comprehensive, and globally representative.
We are looking for a Front-End Developer:
The Developer will be responsible for implementing visual elements that are visible from the computer users vantage point within a web application. The Developer will combine the art of design with the science of programming. The Developer will be responsible for the translation of UI/UX design wireframes to actual code.
The Developer needs to collaborate with back-end developers and web designers to improve usability, get feedback from, and build solutions as requested by the Program Managers.
- Develop new user-facing features
- Design mobile-based features
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Maintaining and improving our website(s).
- Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Write functional requirement documents and guides
Skills And Qualifications:
- Proven work experience as a Front-end developer
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Proficient understanding of responsive and mobile first design.
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Good understanding of SEO principles and ensuring that application will adhere to them.
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus.
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of other languages (Hindi, or Spanish etc.) is a plus.
- Interest in social justice and / or reproductive rights is a plus.
The Web Developer will work online from any location, but should be in constant communication with the Women First tech team. Work schedule will be defined according to the candidate’s availability and WFD needs.
Benefits and Compensation: this position includes a monthly salary (based on experience), and paid leave days.
Application Process: We invite all interested candidates to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Motivation outlining how your experience, skills, and professional networks fit with the required job description (1-page maximum).
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Front End Developer by August 26th, 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.