Contract Term: 6 months with possibility of extension
Women First Digital (WFD) is a collection of online platforms that provide information and counseling services on safe abortion, contraception and SRHR. WFD leverages the reach, innovation and power of the internet to reach as many people as possible. Through these platforms we connect women all around the world to accurate information, allowing them to make informed decisions about comprehensive abortion care and services. The following platforms comprise the WFD Program:
- HowToUseAbortionPill.org (also known as PinkShoes.org in regions of the world where criminalization or stigma make abortion resources inaccessible)
HowToUse is a one stop global resource for safe abortion, providing simple instructions on how to use the medical abortion pills. HowToUse also provides abortion eLearning courses, country-specific abortion information and is currently translated into 24 languages.
safe2choose connects women all around the world to accurate and individualized information on medical abortion pills, so that they can have a safe abortion where, when and with whom they feel most comfortable. Our team includes multilingual counselors, medical doctors and experts in the field of public health and international development that work together to provide women with accurate information about safe abortion.
Created in collaboration with Bedsider.org and partners around the world, findmymethod.org shares information on contraception that is easy to understand, comprehensive, and globally representative.
We are looking for a Copy Editor to oversee our content editing needs for all online platforms. The Copy Editor will work with WFD communications team to ensure the content is concise, consistent and both grammatically and factually correct.
- Review and copy edit the weekly or biweekly WFD platforms blog post to maintain consistency and quality throughout the content;
- Periodically review the content updates on all three websites (country profile, new pages/sections), donor proposals, reports, newsletter, and other non-technical projects;
- Review of existing content on websites for accuracy and quality, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax;
- Coordinate with communications team to ensure high-quality content that engages the end-user;
- Understand and consistently reflect the brand voice of the WFD project in writing style;
- Compile and update style guides as required and ensure that the content adheres to an in-house style guide.
Skills and Experience
- Vacancy is directed at all women (trans included) and non-binary people.
- 2+ years of copy-editing experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language. Working knowledge of other languages (French, Swahili, Spanish etc.) is a plus.
- Willingness to collaborate with the communications team to ensure the efficiency and accuracy of the overall editorial process and should be well versed with the taxonomy and web terminologies.
- Interest in social justice and / or reproductive rights.
- Highly organized and attentive to details.
- Independent access to a working computer and reliable connection to the Internet.
Contract Type and Term:
This is a Consultancy Contract. This is a 6 months contract with possibility of extension.
Compensation: The Consultant shall be paid on an hourly basis, paid monthly upon receipt of invoice and time-sheet indicating the number of hours worked.
Application Process: We invite all interested candidates to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A writing sample and copy-editing work examples.
- Letter of Motivation outlining how your experience and skills fit with the required job description (1-page maximum).
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Copy Editor” in the subject line by 20th May 2020.