If you plan on buying abortion pills locally, there are a few important tips that we would like to share with you.
Sometimes buying pills locally can be hard as you can never be sure of their quality or if they are real or not. Also, they tend to be very expensive. Below are some tips to think about while buying abortion pills.
Buying Mifepristone locally:
- If you are trying to buy Mifepristone locally, you might have some difficulty in finding it. This is because it is not registered in many countries, especially where abortion is illegal, and therefore not in pharmacies.
- This means that most of the time when you find Mifepristone, in the illegal market for example, it is not real.
- There is no way for us or for you to know if the pill is real just by looking at it. This is because there are different brands and therefore different shapes, sizes and shades. The only way of knowing for sure is if the Mifepristone is still in its original package. If that’s the case, check the expiration date.
- In case you found Mifepristone, please consider you will only need 1 pill of 200 mg, but in some cases they will tell you that you need more to make more money off of you.
Buying Misoprostol locally:
- Misoprostol is easier to find locally as it is registered in many countries for stomach ulcers, inducing labor, or for treating postpartum hemorrhages. In some countries you can get it in pharmacies without a medical prescription.
- Misoprostol has different brand names. Sometimes you will find the medication under the following names: Cytotec,Cyprostol, Misotrol, Prostokos, Vagiprost, Misotac, Mizoprotol, Misofar, Isovent, Kontrac, Cytopan, Noprostol, Gastrul, Chromalux, Asotec, Cyrux, Cytil, Misoprolen, Mibetec, Cytomis, Miclofenac, Misoclo, Misofen, Misogon, Alsoben, Misel, Sintec, Gastrotec, Cystol, Gastec, Cirotec, Gistol, Misoplus, Zitotec, Prestakind, Misoprost, Cytolog, GMisoprostol, Mirolut, Gymiso
- If you are going to be using Misoprostol only to induce an abortion, you will need 12 pills total. Some will try and sell you less, but it is important to understand that if you do not use 12 pills, you will be at risk for having an incomplete abortion.
- It’s always best to buy the pills in their original package, but if this is not possible make sure to check the pills. Touch them to make sure they do not dissolve and also that they all look the same. Make sure to check the expiration date if they are in the original package.
Instructions on how to use the pills:
- When buying pills from different locations, whether it be in the illegal market, from a pharmacy or a doctor for example, you will be getting conflicting instructions on how to use the pills.
- Many illegal sellers do not have the right information. They are selling abortion pills to make money, not necessarily to help women. This means that they are not trained properly to give you instructions with the right information on how to use abortion pills.
- Pharmacies and doctors can also give false information on how to use the pills. This is because stigma and restrictive abortion laws create an environment of myths and false information, even within medical staff.
- It’s important to only follow one protocol. Even if you have read about different ways to take the pills, do not mix protocols, stick to one.
- Always try to follow the protocols of the World Health Organization (safe2choose uses their protocols).
- Get in touch with us if you have questions! Our counselors are professionally trained to guide you through an abortion with pills with the right protocols.
- “Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems.” World Health Organization.
- “Medication Abortion.” Guttmacher Institute.
- “Clinical updates in reproductive health.” Ipas.